What Is Speaking In Tongues?
Speaking in tongues is a Spiritual utterance (the Holy Spirit gives you a sound from within) and you utter it (release it). If the Spirit gives you a sound and you do not utter it, you would not speak in tongues.
Acts 2:4 (NKJV)
And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Acts 19:6 (NKJV)
And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.
Importance of Speaking in Tongues
· Speaking in tongues is the most important access we have into the realms of the Spirit. It is the gateway to the supernatural.
· If you speak in tongues, you will walk in the Spirit. It is the easiest way to do so.
· Speaking in tongues will help you walk in the gifts of the Spirit and mature quickly in the fruit of the Spirit.
· Revelations will come easy when your spiritual eyes are open as a result of speaking in tongues.
Purpose of Speaking in Tongues
· Speaking in tongues is for self- edification (building you up, charging up the Spirit man).
1 Corinthians 14:4 (NKJV)
He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.
Jude 1:20 (NKJV)
But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,
Romans 8:25-26 (NKJV)
But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance. Likewise, the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
Speaking in tongues is only for believers ONLY
· Every believer ought to speak in tongues as a sign. In order to do so, submit yourselves to teachings on this topic and your understanding of the teachings will help take you to the next level.
Mark 16:17 (NKJV)
And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name, they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues;